The parent who requests a change to the judgment must file a Complaint for Modification.  In order for a parent to successfully alter a judgment, he or she must demonstrate a material and substantial change of circumstances since the entry of the last judgment.  These changes of circumstances could include the loss of a job, an increased ability to pay, a child entering college, a child’s special needs, a parent’s inability to support the child’s relationship with the other parent or a parent’s inability to properly care for the child.

If you have questions regarding the modification of child custody or child support terms of your divorce, contact our Massachusetts divorce lawyers for a consultation.